BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental, Philippines – A businessman, three government assets, two barkers are among the dead, and a jealous policeman among the suspects in a series of shooting incidents for the first 20 days of June as the dead season heightens in Sugarlandia.
The latest victim, Christopher Guanzon, was about to have dinner at a birthday party last night, 19 January, but was killed in front of his 14-year-old child, local radio station DyEZ Aksyon Radyo Bacolod reported.
Aksyon Radyo also quoted Guanzon’s wife as having said the victim, who drives a tricycle, told her that a passenger threatened to kill him months ago.
She told Aksyon Radyo Christopher refused to let the passenger ride because that person wanted to load stolen items on his tricycle.
Guanzon was killed by a lone gunman who police said shot him on the head.
The public’s attention appears to have shifted once again to peace and order in this highly-urbanized center of the province after months of dizzying political developments leading to the 9 May polls as the local press was kept busy by a series of crime stories.
The most controversial so far among the killing based on the initial police probe and the style of murder is that of Jeffrey Keng Seng, a businessman, who was shot at a traffic stop near Police Station 2 on 14 June 2022.
The shooting was on a busy street.
At high noon.
The others killed were Rene Mateo in Alangilan village, government asset Jose Allan Braza who was killed in public in Village 35 early in the morning of June 8, followed by Jestoni Sabare who was shot along a busy street three days later in the evening of 11 June.
Another killing followed five days later, 16 June, when Adonis Matulac was shot in Singcang Airport village.
The next day, local police spokesman Sherlock Gabana said police are exerting efforts to solve the killing but that evening, another man, Bryan alias Drei was shot in Banago village.
Those wounded in these incidents are Michael Diopeta, Jemar Berja, Richard Jimenez, and Jorem Sibug.