BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental, Philippines – The chair of the local council’s committee on education has expressed his opposition to the announcement of Malacanang on the resumption of face-to-face classes in selected low risk areas in the country amid the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic.
On Monday 14 December, President Rodrigo Duterte has approved a trial run of face-to-face classes in areas classified as “low risk” for Covid-19.
Councilor Renecito Novero said the government should not rely on the vaccine because its availability is uncertain yet, and when it is, the priority shall be the frontliners particularly healthcare workers.
The councilor also stressed that minors are even prohibited to go to malls or business establishments so allowing them in school for longer hours would make them more prone to catching the disease.
He added the government had already spent a lot in implementing the blended learning so shifting from physical classes would put the spending in vain.
Novero said the decline of Covid-19 cases in Bacolod should not give security for people to be complacent.
Nonetheless, the councilor said they will follow the order from the national once the guidelines have been set.