BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental, Philippines – It would be “premature” to lift the Enhanced Community Quarantine in Bacolod by 30 April as cases of positive local transmissions are just beginning to emerge and coming to the notice of local health authorities, Bacolod Mayor Evelio Leonardia said.
The mayor, in a statement furnished to the local media, said he is joining his voice along with that of Bacolod Cong. Greg Gasataya, Vice-Mayor El Cid Familiaran and the Sangguniang Panlungsod in appealing to President Duterte to extend the ECQ until 15 May, 2020. (READ: Solon, city dads call for ECQ extension)
The SP had earlier this day filed a resolution through a special session appealing to the National Inter-Agency Task Force to extend the ECQ until 15 May, 2020.
“…[I]t is better to be safe than sorry, and to take all steps necessary, like extending the ECQ until May 15, to protect our people from further COVID infections, which can spread more easily when people begin to move around in greater numbers under more relaxed quarantine conditions,” the mayor said in a statement furnished to local media.
Leonardia said while the city officials are “happy” that the IATF considers the city a low-risk area, the classification is no guarantee that the people are now “truly safe and secure”.
“Better to err on the side of caution than to live under a false sense of security and suffer for it eventually,” he said.
He recognized the effort of the city council under the “laudable leadership” of the vice-mayor in coming up with a resolution with the intent of protecting the people of Bacolod.
Leonardia also thanked Gasataya for his “invaluable support on the position of our city officials”, as well as recognized the initiatives of Councilors Cindy Rojas and Renecito Novero for “this solid and speedy action at the SP as well as the administrative assistance of City Administrator Em Ang and Secretary to the Mayor Atty. Edward Joseph Cuansing”.
He also called on the constituents to be “united in prayer as we are united in this fight for survival against COVID-19”.