BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental, Philippines – The two major political parties in Bacolod have violated the Commission on Elections campaign guidelines during the holding of their kick off activities last week.
Grupo Progreso had their kick off activity last Friday with a mass and followed by a caravan.
On Saturday, the Asenso for a Better Bacolod had their kick-off activity with a caravan and a rally at the Paglaum Sports Complex.
On the same day, the ruling Grupo Progreso also had their opening salvo at the Bacolod City Public Plaza.
Both activities were attended by their supporters from different villages. Asenso, on the other hand, invited famous bands to perform on stage during the program.
Bacolod City COMELEC supervisor Lawyer Revo Sorbito said the two parties did not observe minimum health protocols in terms of social distancing and wearing of facemask of their supporters.
Sorbito said they will make a report about it and submit this to the province which in turn will be passed to the regional COMELEC before it reaches the main office.
It is up to the main office, Sorbito said, on how to act on the reports they submitted given that candidates themselves are also required to file an affidavit of compliance everytime they conduct campaign activities.