BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental, Philippines – The mayor here stepped up measures in the groundwar against the COVID19 a day after President Duterte ordered an enhanced community quarantine over the metropolitan capital to halt the spread of the virus that has 142 confirmed infections and 12 mortalities in the country so far.
Mayor Evelio Leonardia, in a joint news conference with various officials here, said the city remains COVIDV free and “it must remain that way” which explains why he issued a new executive order, No. 21, improving measures to “respond to the needs of the times.”
This city, the economic hub of Sugarlandia where thousands of transients pass through and where major business process outsourcing firms are located, has seen a slowdown in economic activities since Leonardia’s Executive Order 21 took effect Monday, 15 March.
Leonardia admitted the order was meant to “limit or totally stop” human movement.
He said the quarantine works both ways as it limits inward and outward movements of people.
Leonardia cited laws that empower him to take steps to make life more convenient for and livable for its people.
He called on people to take steps including sanitation and hygiene measures and “stay in their homes” and move only if going to work or medical facilities.”
Even his daughter, Kara, is still under home quarantine after comimg home from Manila 12 March where she is studying in a university
Local police chief Col. Henry Binas said there will be no penalty as of now for those who will be caught violating the ordinance that starts tonight at 10pm, 17 March.