BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental, Philippines – A broadcaster said he feels threatened after reporting on alleged scams that he claimed has victimized several residents here.
Louie Chito Berjit told DNX he feels threatened after several men allegedly went to his house late at night Sunday last week and “looked around.”
Berjit added neighbors later told him some of these men, around four of them, even peeked at the windows, “possibly looking for someone.”
The broadcaster said he was inside the house but did not notice their presence.
DNX is withholding the address of Berjit for his safety.
The incident, which Berjit has yet to report to the police, came on the heels of what he desribed as “exposes” that he made on the alleged rice investment scam that could possibly “involve some policemen.”
Berjit said in a phone interview that his series of reports on the alleged anomaly started in August after several persons complained to him that they were practically duped into investing money in a rice business that promised high weekly returns.
When he posted it on his Facebook account, a relative admitted being victimized by the same group of persons, one of them a woman.
DNX is withholding details of the persons involved pending the filing of formal complaints and investigations into it.
The relative and several others allegedly invested at least P1.8 million and were trying to “negotiate” with one of the alleged perpetrators of the scam to return their money.
Berjit, prompted by the request of his relative, took down the post he made on Facebook.
The negotiation fell through, however, when the woman who promised to return his relative’s money failed to show up in a meeting in front of the National Bureau of Investigation’s office.